
October 30, 2009
I have just arrived back to Lebanon and the Near East School of Theology (NEST) on Wednesday, October 28. As usual, I do not sleep well the first couple days from jet lag so am up before dawn. I enjoy what has become the ritual sunrise walk my first day in Beirut. 5:30 a.m. I was out the doors of the NEST where I stay while I am here. I wandered down toward the American University of Beirut campus, along Bliss and down to the gateway staircase toward the Corniche and the Mediterranean Sea. Many others are up this time of the morning doing their morning ritual of exercise. I watched the fisherman and swimmers, watched the vendors with Nargeli pipes already fired up for morning smoke...
The swimmers amaze me.. first with the temperature of the water and then with the diving head first between large cliff like rocks. I am assured these swimmers know the water well, and where the rocks are placed. Inshallah!

The semester at the NEST has just started and there are the returning students mixed with the new students. There are six Europeon students participating in the year program focusing on church history and islamics, along with two German Pastors here for the Pastors Sabbatical which is two and a half months long.
Please check out my latest offering on the Presbyterian Church (USA) website at my Mission Connections page. www.pcusa.org/missionconnections/profiles/dolezal-ngc.htm May take a day or two for them to upload but it will be there soon!
I look forward to posting regular vignettes here on my blog during my time with the NEST; and with our NEST Alumnus and partners in the region. My time helps me connect friends in the USA and friends in the region. What a joy and gift this is and I thank God for this opportunity. Thank you for walking with the NEST and with me. This ministry is vital in the Middle East and I pray my future posts will illustrate that to you!
Salaam,
Carol

No comments:
Post a Comment