
Went to Rabiya church today for worship. Rev. George Mourad is a N.E.S.T. graduate, and last we met in Louisville, at the formation meeting of the new Presbyterian Church (USA) Syria-Lebanon Mission Network. The National Evangelical Church of Rabiya (Presbyterian) was born in the midst of the civil war. It was increasingly difficult for people who had left Beirut to travel there for worship. Rabiya is just outside of Beirut and became the location for people to gather for worship. Today they have a thriving congregation with well over 300 members -- a full church and christian education facility.
Rev. Mourad reminded us in his sermon that we are God’s children. He also cited God does not have grandchildren. If our parents are God’s children, we are not God’s grandchildren. We, too, are God’s children. Thus we have a direct responsibility for our relationship to God. What does it mean to be a child of God? To learn that we have the chance on our own to be faithful and live life to the fullest, with God’s grace and guidance.
One thing I share with people in the US when I try to build a bridge of understanding is that reformed worship transcends language. I worship in Arabic or Armenian when I am am here, but often I have felt the holy spirit move stronger than in any English speaking worship I attend at “home”.
We moved to communion with Rev. Mourad leading in Arabic, and the elders around him, with the congregation in wait. I was taken back to my Mother’s bedside in Iowa just a couple weeks before. There I was with Rev. Wunder, and a small circle of friends and family. In Iowa we passed the elements, just as we were doing now in Lebanon. My Mother could no longer take for herself, so I touched the bread and the juice to her lips and left a trace. We prayed and we sang and when we all left the room, my Mother finally passed within moments. Even though my Mother was the one who passed, I felt like I had transcended to a new level of faith. So, when I was with the Rabiya family this morning, sharing communion, I felt that feeling once again. Perhaps this is the gift of my Mother’s passing.. a renewed and deepened faith. Communion with the Rabiya church family was the first time I’ve shared communion since my Mother’s last supper.
Where is home... what is home... I’ve always felt home is where the heart is. I feel a million miles away from home now, and at the same time right at home in Lebanon. And more important, I now find myself committed that my true home is where Christ is, and the preparation we have along the journey here on earth strengthens us to make it to our final destination.
I am grateful for the pastors that serve in the Middle East, and grateful for the N.E.S.T. and the nurture these pastors receive. I am grateful that wherever I go, I am able to worship and remember the one that nurtures and inspires all of us to follow God’s will.

No comments:
Post a Comment