Monday, October 27, 2008

Blog Introduction



I have been in Beirut, Lebanon at the Near East School of Theology since Friday, October 24. Coincidentally, friends from the San Francisco Bay Area are in the Holy Land at the same time, harvesting olives as part of the Keep Hope Alive program. I have been inspired by their Blog and look forward to sharing my personal reflections about my call and my work with the N.E.S.T.

Finding a title and framing the purpose of this blog took some rumination. Whatever brings people to read this, I appreciate the interest and curiosity. I finally came up with the idea of vignettes, to take the pressure off of having the perfect thing to say. Clearly anyone who comes to visit the N.E.S.T. or this region of the World will have unique and profound reflections of their own. Webster’s Dictionary definition of vignette includes “a brief evocative description, account, or episode” or “a small illustration or portrait photograph that fades into its background without a definite border” I can work with that!

The Keep Hope Alive group blog reminds me of my own path that brought me to this place and space in time. In 2004, I was a Commissioner for the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) General Assembly. It is there that the Middle East came to my attention and became a part of my life. It is through interpreting General Assembly actions regarding the Middle East, along with a trip in 2006 with 100 other Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) brothers and sisters to the holy land, along with my friendship with Carol and Ben Weir and the curiosity that raised for me, that I find myself now working with the N.E.S.T. My call as a Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Mission Co-Worker is to find partners for funding and support of this rich ministry, which has been developing Christian Leaders since 1835. The N.E.S.T., as it is today, was founded in 1932 and just celebrated it’s 75th Anniversary in 2007. For more information about the N.E.S.T., go to www.theonest.edu.lb

Just as it is harvest time for the olives, my hope is some of the seeds I have planted for new and continued financial support of the N.E.S.T. will be realized soon. Already in my visit, I’ve been thrilled to reconnect with students and see their growth. It reaffirms my call and gives me great hope that their nurture and training produces inspiring leaders to ensure a continued Christian presence in the Middle East. Support in the N.E.S.T. provides a return that is immeasurable. In this time when greed seems to be the addiction of choice, what better time to embrace the teachings of Christ? Walking with the N.E.S.T. is a walk with our brothers and sisters in the Middle East and Africa, to help ensure the rich tapestry of Abrahamic faiths is complete with a Christian presence. Dr. Mary Mikhael, President of the N.E.S.T. reports that approximately 95% of all the Christian Leaders serving in the Middle East have been trained at the N.E.S.T. The N.E.S.T. has and will continue to send forth leaders. I ask for prayers for all at the N.E.S.T. and for God’s continued guidance in my work.

3 comments:

Peggy said...

What a lovely introduction Carol! God bless!

Monte said...

glad you're blogging! traveling mercies.

Unknown said...

Wow, Carol, I didn't read al of that but the pictures were fabulous. Thank you. Katrina