Amazing what can happen in a day. Getting the blog up and out took a bit a stress off as I really want to be in touch with people while I’m here. I left off at Chapel time which is 12:10 p.m. Every weekday there is Chapel and the N.E.S.T. community takes turns planning and leading. Today John M'mbirithi, M.Div. student from Kenya lead us in the book of Romans. He preached about his personal struggle worrying about his family and shared how he and Bishop Peter had taken their concerns to the Lord in prayer and felt the amazing grace and love that lifted them up.
The closing hymn was “Lord, I Lift Your Name on High” by Rick Founds. The weekend before I arrived in Lebanon I was in Northern California worshipping under glorious trees at our church retreat, as my children, along with the rest of our home church family children sang this same song. Today we didn’t have the hand motions or the “Woop Woop” sound effects so I shared those with the students after chapel. Perhaps we will sing the children’s version during one of my days leading chapel.
During lunch I sat with John and Bishop Peter, another M.Div student from Sudan. Dr. Johnny Awwad joined us and our conversation that centered around the families of both of these students. John’s wife is in need of surgery and Peter’s daughter is in the hospital. There are not funds for the needed medical care at home and it is difficult for these men to be away from their families at this time. The N.E.S.T. continues to be in need of general scholarship funds for all students, which may include a small stipend for living expenses here, but do not include funds for family at home. Dr. Awwad had John use his mobile telephone to be able to call Kenya to check on his wife. (photo above) We hold these brothers John and Peter, and their families in our prayers.
During the student coffee I had a chance to meet and talk with Rana Khoury. She is auditing Introduction to the New Testament. Each trip I meet someone who is auditing a course at the N.E.S.T. and love how they add to the tapestry of students here. Rana is an architect and designer. And she’s on facebook... of course, that’s an automatic point of bonding!
The students take turns making the Arabic coffee and cleaning up afterwards. Bahjat Khadar, M. Div. student, coordinates the schedule and today took his turn. (photo)
Once coffee time was over I worked a bit but could hardly contain my excitement. I saw Slyvie Avakian, one of our S.T.M. students from the Armenian Evangelical Union in the morning. Last year Slyvie was here with her two little girls, Christine and Grace. They lived in the N.E.S.T. during the week and returned to Syria on the weekends to be with Slyvie’s husband, another N.E.S.T. Alumni who was Pastor at a Syrian church. This year they are all together and he is serving at the National Evangelical Church in downtown Beirut. Sylvie has an afternoon class so she said the girls would be coming with her after school. (photo) I had my See’s Candies Lollypops ready for them and they remember these sweet treats probably more than me. The girls and Abu Elias, the gatekeeper, are my best customers for See’s lollypops! Slyvie and her husband’s dedication to their education toward their roles as leaders in the church moves me. I can only imagine how difficult it was to be separated last year. I am so happy they are together this year!
I sat in David Dorman’s “Christology” class in the late afternoon. (photo) Today’s class continued discussion about Jesus and Judaism. Elizabeth Achtemeier’s paper on “Righteousness in the Old Testament” provided groundwork for the discussion. (Buttrick, et al., eds., Interpreter’s Dictionary of the Bible, vol. 4 pp. 80-85. Abingdon, 1962.), along with a discussion of Mosaic Law versus The Covenant mediated by Jesus. We were flying all over the Psalms and some reference to Isaiah and then over to Paul in Romans. What is righteousness? David sited in Psalm 11:7 “For the Lord is righteous; he loves righteous deeds; the upright shall behold his face.” In other words, Dave said, “because he is righteous, we will be okay... we will be fine.” He shared that is echoed in our Presbyterian Church (USA) through our Reformed tradition with the Heidelberg Catechism.
Question 1. What is thy only comfort in life and death?
Answer: That I with body and soul, both in life and death, am not my own, but belong unto my faithful Saviour Jesus Christ; who, with his precious blood, has fully satisfied for all my sins, and delivered me from all the power of the devil; and so preserves me that without the will of my heavenly Father, not a hair can fall from my head; yea, that all things must be subservient to my salvation, and therefore, by his Holy Spirit, He also assures me of eternal life, and makes me sincerely willing and ready, henceforth, to live unto him.
As David challenged, the question is not, “What is your last ditch effort?” The very basis is God’s righteousness. Within the class the students come from diverse theological background and understanding, however, God’s righteousness provides a common foundation.
As I talk about the rhythm of the day at N.E.S.T., I lead you to my Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Mission Connections Webpage for my latest update from Beirut:
www.pcusa.org/missionconnections/profiles/dolezal-ngc.htm
Rather than repeat here, I have written a brief description of the day’s schedule at N.E.S.T., along with other reflections for the Mission Connections page.

No comments:
Post a Comment