At 5:00 p.m. I attended a forum at the American University of Beirut, which is just down the street from the N.E.S.T. The title: “Real Change? A forum on U.S. elections” So the title may tip the tone of the event. It was presented by the Center for American Studies and Research and the panel included Karim Makdisi, Patrick McGreevy and Marcus Marktanner (shown in order in the photo). Each of the three presented a short presentation. Marktanner spoke about politics and economics during this moment of economic upheaval. McGreevy addressed the prospects that the this election will initiate fundamental social and political change in the U.S. Makdisi examined the question of change in U.S. foreign policy, particularly in regard to the Middle East. In a nutshell, there was a resounding agreement that it didn’t matter which candidate wins the election to create change in the foreign policy. That sentiment has been echoed in just about any circle I’ve been in and discussed the election since I arrived in Beirut.
Social change was given a slim chance of happening but only if there is a movement of people from the ground up. One women in the audience who has just returned from teaching in St. Louis mentioned the excitement around Obama’s candidacy, especially among college aged voters. She felt these voters would hold Obama accountable for his promises, should Obama win. Makdisi noted he had attended an Obama rally while visiting the U.S. to experience the hype and I was amused when he stated his friends warned him not to drink the Kool-aid. Another audience member expressed he felt since the U.S. is so powerful in the World that the U.S. voters should take international concerns into account when voting. I couldn’t hear him clearly but it almost felt like he might be suggesting the international community should have a vote in our election. Now that would be interesting. A professor that appeared to have U.S. ties noted that within the U.S., people are so stressed by the current economic situation that realistically they are very introverted and internalistic in their view. It is clear Obama is the candidate of choice in any of the groups I have encountered discussion of our election. Tonight, during the forum it was asked if there were any McCain supporters in the audience. I would say there were approximately 125 people in attendance and perhaps 15-20 U.S. citizens. (It’s hard to say about that part.) In this atmosphere, had there been a McCain supporter, I’m not sure they would acknowledge it. However, one young man student raised his hand and said he was a registered Republican but had already cast his absentee ballot and had voted for Obama.
After the forum I came back for dinner at the N.E.S.T. dining hall. Lunch tends to be the big meal and dinner is a collection of leftovers. Today we had rice with a delicious yogurt sauce that had some lemon flavor and some falafels floating within. Must get recipe from Marwan, the cook.
It is Terra Winston’s birthday tomorrow so Jacqueline Hoover baked a delicious cake and Ruth Dorman collected birthday wishes on a card... all was presented to Terra after dinner, with celebration and singing.
(NOTE: This was for you, Monte McClain!)

1 comment:
Thanks for the blog-back! I'm grateful and interested. A real challenge to hear that others are looking for a deep, social change in our nation and our foreign policy aka our relationships with others in the world.
Post a Comment