I’m looking forward to these next few weeks and the chance to share directly from the Near East School of Theology in Beirut! I am staying in Apartment 503 on the 5th Floor. Len and Judy Bjorkman just departed after coming for the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) Iraq Network Consultation. www.pcusa.org/pcnews/2008/08742 I feel their warm energy and am enjoying the Corn Flakes they left for me! :-)
When I am at the N.E.S.T. I always look forward to the new community and hold memories of the communities that were here the last visit, as well as those I know were here long before me. The N.E.S.T. is ever changing. One thing that remains is the camaraderie and laughter, along with the complexities of a diverse community. There are 19 students enrolled this semester. Yes, enrollment is down. Still, within this semester’s body, the countries of Lebanon, Syria, Jordan/Palestine, Kenya, Sudan and Great Britain are represented.
This semester the Dorman family (Dave, Ruth, and Mark) are here from Southern California and Dave is teaching Introduction to Systematic Theology and Christology. Terra Winston is here from the U.S. and teaching Introduction to Biblical Hebrew. I haven’t met her yet and am looking forward to that! It is a treat to have time to get to know the Dorman’s better. Tonight Dr. Mikhael and the Dorman’s and I enjoyed dinner together and some much needed time for prayer.
In the morning at 10:30 a.m., I worshipped with the Presbyterian (National Evangelical Synod) Church family housed in the N.E.S.T. It is so nice people remember me. Even with the service in Arabic, there is a common understanding of worship that transcends language. Dr. Mikhael kindly writes out the key points of the sermon which was about the book of Ezra. It was timely to be reminded that it is only in truly opening ourselves up and confessing that we can receive forgiveness.

No comments:
Post a Comment