Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Monday, October 27, 2008



















I seem to have adjusted well to the time change and was up at 5:30 a.m. this morning... ready for the day. I took a long walk down to the Corniche along the Mediterranean Sea. There have been amazing thunder showers at night so the streets are washed to start the day. I loved being out before the streets filled with the cars that by day clog the narrow streets, moving inch by inch and blaring their horns, as if that will help them move faster. I saw many people along the way, out for their morning exercise and found it interesting that it was primarily men. Do the women exercise inside? A question for the N.E.S.T. dining room. The fisherman were out and amazingly, there were many others out in the sea swimming. So much activity so early in the morning! I discovered a new Starbuck’s and much to my surprise, it had “no smoking” signs inside. 

Today I’ve been working in the library writing up some projects for funding. It’s Monday so has been my first chance to reconnect with staff and faculty. Faculty coffee time was at 10 a.m. with delicious coffee and delicious “mana-ish”, and of course fun conversation. “Mana-ish” (okay... not sure how to really spell it but Yacoub thinks this works!) is a delightful bread with thyme and other herbs on top. I’m sure it is less than 2 points on Weight Watchers! I also had a nice visit with Nuhad Tomey at his office at the Middle East Council of Churches.

By 4 p.m. I already had 4 cups of Arabic coffee... then I ended up taking a break and ended up back in the student lounge with Yacoub and Bahjat, M.Div. students, and Dr. Johnny Awwad. And, of course, Yacoub made another batch of delicious, thick, Arabic coffee and that was part of the communion for the fellowship and extremely lively discussion.

I met Terra Winston at dinner with Dr. Mikhael. What an amazing woman! She has a love and passion for Near East Studies and teaching Hebrew, and teaching in general. The N.E.S.T. is fortunate to have her gifts this year as she teaches Introduction to Hebrew. Please pray for Terra and her service.

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Naturally I have to ask . . . Did you see any divers? Is there any diving in Beruit?

Carol D-N said...

Don't know about divers but lots of swimmers in really rough water. Pretty amazing!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful beautiful to know that you are alive and well and NESTing in Beruit enjoying the coffee.....all you need now is the dark chocolate. I have been working at RuBENS serving both children and adults who have come in to have their "xocolatl" passion and the gelato expectations met with grace and generosity. I am traveling to SK and MTL for 10 days on Saturday, but will be able to access your blogs on my laptop. Many Blessings.....David